Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[176 / 47 / ?]

ID:VoLn49TZ No.1147255 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
In 1974, the American Psychiatric Association struck homosexuality off their list. And what few people talk about is that they had no reason whatsoever to do so. I'm sick and tired of people using the various mental conditions producing homosexuality or gender dysphoria as evidence that 'gender is a social construct' or 'sexuality/gender is a spectrum'. Fuck the APA.
The cited arguments were:
> There's more than we thought
Well, obviously, if you only categorize by the symptom and not the cause. Plenty of people have headaches right now, but since they're all from different conditions, one would not categorize the state of having a headache as completely normal. Many different conditions produce homosexuality or gender dysphoria.
> It can't be 'treated', they can't become straight through therapy
I still don't believe this. The original argument cited Freud's study on exactly one woman. And modern-day 'therapy' for this purpose revolves around beating it out of them or Mike Pencing it out of them, which historically has been shown to only make ANY mental disorder worse.
> They don't harm society, they're not hurting anyone
So? That's not the classification of a mental condition.
> (trans specific) It's not even like they think abnormally, they just long for one thing that doesn't hurt anyone else.
The same could be said of body integrity identity disorder, where people long to cut off perfectly functioning body parts in order to become disabled. How normal are they? Besides, you don't think schizophrenic people think they're thinking normally, up until the moment they get hospitalized?
> It hurts my feelings when you call me that
Tough shit.

Honestly, how could anyone fall for this?