Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[58 / 11 / 36]

Anyone else feel like the last decade was DEFINED by Game of Thrones?

No.14838230 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Anyone else feel like the last decade was DEFINED by Game of Thrones, in a paradigm-defining way; and the World suddenly became a worse place (or, different) when GoT ended? And also, that they didn't get the appropriate appreciation for being there "before it was cool" ?

I suppose that this might sound like a rather subjective opinion, because it is experienced entirely through my personal lense of perception, but I shall still go ahead and share it:

**(As a side note, I'm in my mid-30s. I think this is appropriate to mention because perspectives may differ across distinct age ranges. I was there since AFFC; more on that later...)**

Doesn't anyone else feel like the 2011-2020 decade was the "decade of Game of Thrones" ? Perhaps not its initial years because it took some time for more people to actually get to learn of GoT, but maybe from Season 4 (highest viewers' ratings jump compared to a previous season) onwards?

If 2001-2011 was the "War on Terror" (lol) decade that culminated with the "death" of Osama bin Laden, then GoT was kinda the defining cultural paradigm of the 2011-2020 decade.

The show (and the books, by proxy) had seeped into **Reality** itself in such a way, that they became something akin to almost like a "rite of passage" into any worthy social gatherings, meetings, discussions, etc: At work, in other media's influences (TV series, films, books), suddenly EVERYTHING was about Game of Thrones. Hell, you can even make a parallel between the War in Syria and Game of Thrones too lol. Or Donald Trump's unexpected win and subsequent reign.

---

(to be cont)