Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[206 / 35 / 137]

Lets settle this once and for all. Why are we allowed to eat meat?

No.16750851 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Im about to become a vegan. Their arguments seem convincing to me and I wanna live an authentic life that is in line with my beliefs. If it is the truth that speciesism is wrong and its wrong to kill animals for pleasure then i will have to change my ways. Im not gonna stick my head in the sand and walk the path of least resistance like the soulless, amoral vax cattle.

Im gonna lay out the debate and the arguments.
Religious arguments will be disregarded:

Speciesism refers to moral discrimination against living beings solely on the basis of their species membership. This includes giving no or less consideration to the life or suffering of an individual because they do not belong to a particular species, usually the human species.

Vegans claim speciesism is wrong. There is no significant difference between humans and animals that allows us to treat animals "like objects".
They frequently highlight parallels between racism/sexism and speciesism.

You're allowed to keep niggers as slaves because theyre stupid/uncivilized/not us/naturally below us => Bad argument
Your're allowed to treat women like shit and disregard their needs because theyre cognitively impaired/naturally below us => Bad argument
You're allowed to murder animals and eat them because theyre naturally below us/cognitively impaired etc. => Bad argument???
(Im not gonna lay out why these are bad arguments. im lazy. Just use your brain, its obvious.)

On the other hand even anti-speciesists have to admit that there are hierarchies. Their ideology has holes/contradictions. Example:
- House burns, kid and dog inside, both equally smart, you can only save one => morally correct is to save the kid.
But preferring the kid instead of the dog just because one is a human and the other isnt, is inherently speciesistic. Contradiction.

Nonetheless hierarchies are not a sufficient argument to justify killing animals and eating them even if we have to regard animals inferior to us.