Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[13 / 1 / 5]

ID:q1jRifwP No.19357946 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Is there a way to make the most extroverted co-workers, who seem emotionally intelligent, accept and feel okay with me not talking to them, answering them with short answers while not making an effort to small talk?
It seems like when "normal people" greet each other at work, sit around each other at lunch, or catch up to you in the halls, they want to connect with you by talking. Talking about anything. They also seem to disengage from conversation and will stop trying to catch your eye if you start using short answers. It seems to me like they are taking at least a little bit of offense at what would be considered my display of disinterest.
I'm not disinterested in them, but I'm disinterested in the type of connection of using small talk or even a little bit of deeper talk after an icebreaker as a method of "feeling someone out".
I have to expend a tremendous amount of energy and hype myself up to have a chance at coming up with a cheerful tone and a back and forth of: "How about you? Yeah, what about this and that? See you around!" all while smiling.
I have a problem doing this because it is not in my nature at all. It is not how I act with my family or my sister, who is my closest peer. Me, my sister, and my family get along fine with me not talking a lot, staring, zoning out, cracking stupid jokes, farting or anecdotes at random times.
So even if I want to make a good impression and make the girl at work, who seems to like me, actually keep liking me and give her a metaphorical pat on the back with my small talk, it is simply too hard to keep up with the charade.
Unless I put my whole life into it of course.
I would need to hype myself up every morning before work with youtube videos, music, talking to myself, etc, just to give a good "normie" expression right of the bat at work with them. In time it would flow over and I could get sick or have anxiety attacks.
I'm sure of this.

Continued...