Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[133 / 15 / ?]

Shitty bike mechanic thread, share your horror storis

No.1652917 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Pandemic and all, normies have flooded bike shops. Wanna service your bike? Sure, that's up to two months of waiting in line pal. But they have also started to do either shitty or outright malicious things. Here's a few examples from people I ride with.
Femanon frien:
>my front tire seems to be loosing air, can you check for holes and swap out the tube?
>sorry maam, we're busy, you check it yourself just put the tube in bowl of water and look for air bubbles.
MTB fren:
>hey I picked up the bike from your service like 30 minutes ago and there appears to be grease on the brake disc, it squeaks like hell
>no we definitely didn't put any grease on your discs, sir, you probably touched it with a greasy hand and now the pads are contaminated, we can sell you a new set and swap them, that will be 40 coins
Fren who took his and his and GFs bikes to yearly checkup
>your chain seems stretched, we're gonna have to swap it and the cassette too, plus adjust the rear mech, for two bikes it's gonna be 120 coins
Dude actually had a new cassette and chain installed on both bikes the year before and he rides like twice a week in a casual manner
commuter fren when getting his bike after some bearing swaps hears this:
>I adjusted your seatpost cause it was too low
Guy gets on the bike and and care barely reach the pedals. We eventually ride off, at some points he says he hears some cracks/ticks in the head-tube area, when pedaling harder. Oh shit, it's a full carbon fork! I have to use the full force of my hand to unscrew the stem, the plug is like 2mm out of the steerer tube. The recommended torque for the stem bolts is fucking 4NM - that takes like 2 fingers to unscrew and I had to use the whole arm. We spent the next 10 minutes examining that fork, but found no apparent damage. He's now paranoid to ride the bike. The shop claims all was fine, cause the steerer tube didn't crack.