Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[61 / 10 / 30]

Why is European Rail Freight Usage so Low?

No.1952739 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So, I've been looking into both European and American rail networks and have come to a very disturbing realization. The Europeans hardly use freight rail with most EU countries being below 10% of Freight being moved by train whereas the Americans are almost 30% of all freight being moved by rail. Is there some reason why the EU can't do freight rail, or does it conflict too much with passenger rail to be profitable. Moreover why are Europeans so dependent, much moreso than the Americans, on trucking despite their less optimized roads for it. Like it seems like those stats should be reversed with how much more modern the European rail network is.

From my research, it seems that the U.S is a more well rounded society for getting people and things from point A to point B, with the exception of that horrid Jones act preventing me from getting cheap by sea fares.
I'd still like a major U.S ferry service along our seaboards for those of us who wish to have our cars and not have to drive the interstates.

Could anyone perchance tell me why the EU has so little rail freight usage, even in intermodal networks? I've tried looking but everything is so politically charged