https://www.nytimes.com/2025/07/27/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-aid-hunger.htmlIsrael said it paused military activity in parts of Gaza on Sunday to allow in international aid, amid growing outrage over the severe hunger faced by Palestinians in the territory.
The decision was a reversal by Israel that followed growing pressure over the dire conditions in Gaza, where nearly one in three people has not been eating “for multiple days in a row,” according to the World Food Program, an arm of the United Nations.
Many countries, including some of Israel’s traditional allies, blame Israel for the widespread hunger crisis. The Israeli government blocked almost all aid to Gaza from March through May in an effort to squeeze concessions from Hamas, and has restricted aid deliveries into the territory since then.
The Israeli military said that as part of the policy change that began on Sunday, Israeli forces would pause operations daily in at least three parts of Gaza from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. to allow aid to enter. It added that they would also designate secure routes for U.N. convoys to deliver aid between specified hours.
But it was unclear whether the changes were sufficient to allow enough food to reach desperate Gazans. Israel has announced similar pauses in the past with mixed results, and aid agencies have said only a permanent cease-fire will allow them to resolve the crisis.