Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[39 / 12 / ?]

No.1002391 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Alright /out/ I hiked in these used Austrian army combat boots I got for $30. I just got back from a two night/three day hike where I covered a modest 22miles. I had roughly a 35lb pack and was in fairly rugged terrain (no flat areas, some decent scrambles up and down). It rained for a few hours both mornings I was out and I had one unavoidable stream crossing where I left my boots on.

Here's my short review, questions and disquss if ya want.
I'm a 11/11.5 so I got a 44 (euro sizes). They were a little big, but fit ok with big socks. Wore them around for a few weeks. Figured out a comfortable lacing for them. Took them to my uncle's farm and rode horses/shot guns/did country things in them for a weekend and felt confident enough to make a go of them.

Before I left I did two things. I soaked them in hot water (some boiled in a kettle, but also just hot from tap in bath) to shrink them a little. Also polished them.

Went hiking expecting a need to turn back. Left my usual hiking footwear in car. Brought 1 extra pair of similar thickness socks, 1 pair of nylon dress socks (as liners) but never used them. & 1 pair extra super thick sleeping socks which barely fit in the boot (also never used for hiking).

Tbh, they were pretty comfy. The soles left a little to be desired- even if they were new- I can't imagine the tread pattern doing well on slippery rocks/logs. I dumped out the water after the stream crossing (dunno if that matters). All in all pretty good. Thinking about chopping down the boot because I don't lace the top two eyelets. Also- the back heel of the right boot split a little. I'm going to use my upholstery needle and some floss + shoe goo to fix it, but kinda sucks- we'll see how it turns out.