Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[53 / 6 / ?]

No.113958 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
How much land is needed to live comfortably inna woods? I've had a dream for a long time of living in a cabin on a mountain and making a living by doing freelance software development, and I'm one semester away from graduation so I think it's time to start looking at property. I've never lived outside of a city before, but I've gone hiking/camping/etc plenty of times before.

The thing is, I have no idea how much I need. Acreage varies wildly, and seems extremely arbitrary. A big problem is the fact that my spacial imagination is crap; very time I compare it to an area I understand, it seems hilariously small or costs millions of dollars.

So since you guys probably have a better understanding of land management and living inna woods, I'd like to ask you. What is an appropriate amount of space for someone who wants to live away from civilization? I need enough space to plant a vegetable garden and raise some chickens and a dog, but I don't need a full-blown farm. I'm okay with buying staples like rice, beans, lentils, flour, etc.

Also, I'm planning to live in a trailer on the property until/while I finish a cabin. Is this a good idea, or should I just buy a property with a house already on it? I have zero construction experience beyond building temporary shelters while camping.

Living inna woods general too, I suppose.