Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[77 / 11 / ?]

Ocean Kayaking for the terrified.

No.1194140 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Looking for some informed opinions about inflatable kayaks, or small boats, for ocean use.

So, I have no kayaking experience, and almost no experience on the water in general, despite growing up in a fishing village. I've been out a few times, but basically, I've always been really timid around water and never learned how to swim. And yet, for various reasons over the past year or two, I have become very interested in getting out on the water. I need something easily portable, and I've found that the buoyancy of inflatables makes me feel a little more secure, but I still need to know that whatever I'm going to go out in doesn't feel "tippy". I'd be using it in a part of the north atlantic which is subjected to arctic currents year round, and thus is always incredibly cold.

So far some of the models I've been looking at are the AdvancedFrame from Advanced Elements, and a couple of Sea Eagle models. I don't have a ton of money to spend (a few hundred CAD). There's a decent amount of information out there about some of these models, but they almost entirely discuss use on rivers and flat lakes, whereas I want to paddle along the coast, so I need something that can handle just a little 'chop', boat wakes etc, without making me feel like I'm going to die. So, how unstable are kayaks? Would I be better off with a raft like the mariner 4? I don't want to bother with a motor, so something easily paddled is preferable, which is why I was leaning toward a kayak.

Thoughts? And yes, I know, I need to learn how to swim and build confidence on the water. I'll work on it.