Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[13 / 5 / ?]

Fishing and Camping in Texas

No.1336207 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Looking for some tips and ideas.

I'm planning a few camping trips with my wife this fall/winter and I want to go to Martin Lake Stake Park in east Texas for our first. If the first is good, I believe she will want to do more. I'm looking for the best ways to make it enjoyable for us. We have a dog that we will be taking.

My hope with this trip is to get a primitive camp site with a fire ring on the island, around the green arrow. The blue arrow points a bridge which we may fish off, there's a pier near the bridge. The whole aim of this trip is to get away from civilization/people for awhile and just bond with each other and our dog by a campfire.

The gear that i have:
**camping**
4-man kelty tent
blankets/pillows/etc.
Dog mat (so it smells like his kennel).
cast iron pans
day and fanny packs
various knifes
drier lint and matches
firewood from my parents house

**fishing**
https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-VS-605-20-Voyager-Spinning-Travel/dp/B000MQTJW2
10lb line
Size 1/0 and 8 hooks, bobbers, sinkers, etc.
Looking to use dough or vegetable bait if possible (cheap, can dispose of easily, not live).

So: here are my questions:
>What bait should i target to make the fishing part fun? I'd like to, if possible, catch and cook something.
>Assuming i can manage to catch any fish, how do i keep them fresh so that i don't immediately have to cook them?
>How best to keep the mosqutios off us and the dog? Deep woods off? Can/should i spray the dog?
>What would be a few fun activities to do while /out/ on this island that y'all can come up with?

I'll bump with some pictures about the place. Any recommendations for other places would be nice too. We live in the DFW metroplex, anything <3hr away with trees is best.