Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[33 / 7 / ?]

To help an idiot.

No.151731 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
This board has had a great impact on me, for I started to go out more regularly and getting sick of my basement-dwelling life. Now, all I did till now was day hikes around the area, mostly sub-urban regions with little to no real wilderness, but it got me going.

Since I want to take this thing one step further, I plan on going out for a weekend a few weeks from now. This trip will be only me, so I don't have to worry to mess with other people. However, I have little real experience, most I know is out of books about outdoor survival. At least I know how do disinfect water and to treat minor wounds, but the whole 'stay outside' thing is rather new terrain for me.

What I want from you is to give some advice on my gear. Most of it is stuff I bought recently, all of it had some kind of indoor testing to make sure I know how it feels and how to handle it. Could anyone be so kind and tell me what I'm missing and what I simply should leave at home?

The weekend equipment

>german army backback
>one-person tent
>protective cover
>sleeping bad
>sleeping bag

>canteen with wide opening
>sunglasses
>homemade first aid kit
>compass with magnifying-glass
>map of local area
>flashlight with additional red lense
>pair of spare batteries
>rechargeable flashlight for emergency situations
>trowel
>emergency whistle
>toilet paper
>dental floss
>duct tape
>garbage bag

>mora knife
>swiss army knife

>magnesium firestarter
>pocket stove with additional fuel
>stainless steel bowl, cup and cuterly
>waterproof match safe with striking surface
>strike-anywhere matches
>some dried stuff to eat
>iodine tincture (included in the first aid kit)

>binoculars; not necessary, but I like to watch things

Apart from this I'm wearing some well worn hiking shoes, a softshell jacket, a bandana and a pair of pants I got as a present, some high-fancy hiking thing but comfortable to wear.