Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[53 / 14 / ?]

Need Advice: Active / Casual Outdoor Hobbies & Collections

No.1616040 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /out/ - apologies for the long post, but I’d love your advice.

Due to a disability in my ankles, I’ve pretty much been unable to do most outdoor activities since elementary school and general walking / standing became nearly impossible.

This all changed about 6 months ago when I got fitted for these super-rugged assistive devices (think exoskeleton legs) that have been life changing. I spent this summer trying to condition myself - I was pretty out of shape from not being able to do much before. Still not ‘in-shape,’ but excited to be doing as much new shit as possible.

Started going on little hikes, went paddle boarding, kayaking, and walked on the beach. Finally went *real* camping (I’ve been doing campgrounds for years, since I didn’t need to be on my feet) and the height of my personal achievements so far has been a 7 mile (largely uphill) hike on pretty jagged rocks on part of the Appalachian Trail (Jefferson State Forest / Grayson Highlands).

Now, I’m coming to the realization that I don’t have a) any really cool goals or b) any outdoor hobbies or collections. I’m naturally a bit of collector and I love building up to achievements (“hiking all of X trails in Y,” “visiting all 27 X in my region,” etc.).

So what the fuck should I do? Literally no suggestion is a bad one at this point: I’m super hyped about trying things I’ve never done and/or haven’t been able to do in over a decade. Would love to hear what I’ve been missing out on both in terms of active outdoor stuff and just hobbies/collections that can get me out into the the fresh air a little.

Constraints: I can’t quite run or jog yet, but I’m working on it. Would prefer that the active stuff be possible to enjoy with my wife (but general hobbies can be solo), and I am pretty busy in terms of schedule, so I can’t take off 3 weeks to go explore a rainforest or anything like that - at least not regularly.

Pic related: me on our hike at Grayson Highlands.