Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[22 / 4 / ?]

Cold /out/ing advice

No.1626807 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Gentlemen, I'm looking for people with experience in cold to review my gear. It's my first winter outing, and I'd like to not freeze my balls off

The trail: massif central, France (pic related) 70kms/43.5 miles. Elevation 850-1850m/ 2800-6000 ft. Forecast so far, clear skies, a bit of snow, lowest temp at night -7c/19F.

Gear:
Layer 1: random t-shirt
Layer 2: long sleeve synthetic
Layer3: synthetic down jacket
outer shell: rain coat (thick windproof wterproof fabric, no thermal lining)
Pants: light quick dry pants (no heat whatsoever)
gloves: layer 1: thin wool gloves, layer 2: wind proof waterproof biking gloves)

sleeping: thermal long sleeve +pants, socks, wool hat, 6° sleeping bag+fleece sleeping bag liner.
Tarp, thermarest mat, hammock (which I don't use all the time, but seems approprite in the cold)

optionnal: super thick warm but bulky wool jumper, rain pants, ski coat (warm, light, kind of bulky, waterproof to a point, but will get soaked in heavy downpour)

SHouls I take the optionnal items or is the rest enough?
I'm not too worried about legs, if need be I'll keep the thermal pants during the day, I grew up playing rugby in freezing temps and it was fine, and I'm not too sensitive to cold generally speaking.

If you have any other advice regarding gear/food whatever, I'd be glad to hear it.