Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[186 / 19 / ?]

/out/ careers, Forest Service

No.1827246 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Any of yall have experience with an /out/ career? I've been working in an Americorps program for the last month or so with the intention of getting a job in the USFS.

This Americorps program is pretty strenuous. I hike up to 14 miles a day to do trail maintenance. We use saws to remove downed trees, repair tread, that sort of thing. Most of my hitches are 9+ days camping near the trailhead. I've never been this /out/ in my life, and honestly the amount of physical exhaustion has been nice. Most of my anxiety and worries melt away, and I have a very clear head so I spend a lot of time reading and drawing during my free time on hitch.

Although I have good camaraderie with the other crew members, I don't necessarily feel like spending my free time with them because I see them so much during the work week. So my time off has me experiencing a lot of anxiety and loneliness because I don't have any other friends in the area. I also feel much more restless because work is so physically demanding, and while at home I don't reach the same level of exertion. I'm at a point where I would almost prefer being on hitch 24/7.

Anyone else have an /out/ job? What do you think of the Forest Service, or other Department of Agriculture jobs? Ever feel out of place once you go back to society?