Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[95 / 14 / ?]

No.1931294 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Have any bongs on /out/ taken the narrowboat pill?
I have managed to save a bit of money and am strongly considering getting one to live aboard in from next Spring.
They seem to hold their value pretty well, a good used example will cost almost the same amount it would cost to get a new one built and fitted out.
For anyone that lives on one or has done in the past, how is it? Anything to look out, for or consider? One pitfall I see is security, if you aren't in your boat and it's just moored along some footpath somewhere it would be easy for opportunistic thieves to break in.

For foreign anons who aren't aware, these boats were traditionally horse drawn and used to transport coal and other goods around the country before the car, there is quite an extensive network of these thin, artificial canals all across England. Dutch barges and widebeam boats are better for living aboard but can only access a few parts of the network, are more expensive and more difficult to manoeuvre so a narrowboat is preferable if you actually want to explore the country a bit.

Also general liveaboard boats thread I guess, post if you live in a yacht or something else.