Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[82 / 26 / ?]

/wool/

No.1991487 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sup sheeple, can we have a wool thread with some /sci/ crossover?

I recently bought a set of wool base layers (underwear and shirts) for /out/ and /in/. In the process, I learned some things. Highly opinionated greentext list:
>For any article of clothing, there's only 1-2 quality manufacturers
>100% merino > 200 gsm weight is the only option for base layers
>You need at least two and not more than three sets for a complete wardrobe
>Buy used wool whenever possible and treat it like buying fine dress clothes (I find made-in-USA button-ups at thrift stores for $5 and get them tailored for $15, instead of buying china shit off the rack for $50)

The manufacturers I found for each item were:
>Duckworth = long base layers, long johns and long-sleeve shirts. The product is called "Maverick Peak" that's 100% merino, 220 gsm
>Dilling = short base layers, underwear and T-shirts. They sell 100% merino, 215 gsm ones but Americans can't order directly. You need someone in Scandi, West EU, or UK to forward the package across the pond.
>Darn Tough = socks. They seem to be the best, but everything is a blend and I'm not sure 100% merino is good for socks anyway. I already have wool socks for /out/

My insistence on 100% wool: anything blended with it negates the purpose of wool. Synthetics trap odors and bamboo is repackaged cotton. Also, a single shirt costs like $100 so you better get your money's worth. Eco-nylon is literal garbage, great for nylon stockings but not $50 boxers.

The purpose of wool is to efficiently pass moisture and volatile waste chemicals. That's what it does, and on a biological level, it's the best. Wool evolved to protect sheep, who are known to live in hostile places like Iceland, Shetland, Falkland/Argentina, etc. Which is why the best wool comes from harsh climates including Montana. It's bathed in lanolin, anti-microbial/anti-moisture secretions from sheepskin.