Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[9 / 2 / ?]

axes and axe accessories

No.207812 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
School me on axes and hatchets.

I'm kinda a noob in terms of actual outdoor innawoods experience. I was gonna drop some money on a decent sized fixed blade for general dutys, and I still will but I think for the time being my Opinel no.8 is more than adequate for anything you should be doing with a knife. I think that a hatchet/axe/tomahawk might be a better investment for the time being

The problem is I don't really know my needs or what I like cuz I have little experience, and there seems to be a wide variety of axes with extremely different purposes, yet they all have their proponets. I had a 14-inch collins hatchet that I absolutely hated. Kept a shit edge and rattled my arms when I did any serious chopping, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a lack of weight, maybe it was just a shitty axe. I'm looking for a general purpose axe that will be a better chopper, but what else should I be looking for? a makeshift hammer? blunt backed, double bladed, or the spike thingy? curved or flat blade, thick or thin bit, ect.

Been reading about Nessmuk and a lot of his ideas seem to make sense. Is a short double bladed like he favored a viable idea? I worry about possible deflections, and also whether or not I'd ever need to baton with it.