Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[12 / 3 / ?]

No.2118131 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hello. I'm gonna cycle pic related during september-october. It's gonna be spring. The catch is, I've never really been outdoors. I've never camped. I've never used gps. I've never cycled long-distance. And I'm quite out of shape. I'm still gonna do it, because it'll be my last window of opportunity to do something like this for years to come due to employment circumstances.

It's clocking at 4,134kms, and I'll have 60 days to do it. That's less than 100km/day with some time to spare in some places here and there. I've divided the route into 6 segments that should present homogenous challenges:

A - Santiago to Concepción: mostly one way local roads, plenty of stretches on the coast. Some poor areas, but really only dangerous outside Santiago. Main concern would be traffic, as it's more densely populated;

B - Concepción to Volcán Lanín: all local roads, 50% well paved one way roads, 25% pretty on pretty rough condition, 25% dirt/gravel. Not much of concern outside of traffic, which should be busier here;

C - From Volcán Lanín to Cochrane: intra-andean stretch. Roads in all sorts of conditions. Starting on the argentinian side, should be drier but not arid. There's a 1000m elevation up to Bariloche at the beginning. Crossing back over to Chile to be amid the mountains, it gets wetter, and temperature becomes a concern. Also traffic. There should be way less, but there'll be fog, and the road can get pretty bad. This stretch is sparsely populated, but you're never >100km from a city or big town.

D - Cochrane to Torres del Paine: the only part that really worries me. Full on patagonian desert. Absolutely inhospitable. Roads are either dirt (desolate) or highway (traffic). I'd have to camp exposed to the insane wind. At one point you go >200km between a service stop and a small town, with one estancia in the middle that might or not be open for business. El Calafate is the only city where I'd be able to withdrawn some money.