Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[104 / 35 / ?]

Australia 4x4 required

No.2262265 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Unlike most countries you need a 4x4 to access the best of Australia. We're too desolate, the whether changes too quickly and the land is too inhospitable for long term hiking. You can drive for 10 hours on 4x4 only tracks and never come across a town or person. Hiking in the summer without remaining near water is a death sentence 98% of the country isn't accessible by foot without very careful planning. If you're up north and the wet season hits you're in trouble. Some people have learned to do it, highly experienced bush men but even the aboriginals have lost this ability.

Right now I'm camped out at an alpine hut. Today I was meant to descend down the billy goat bluff track which at its toughest drops 1200m elevation in 7000m. The whether changed and the rain has been pouring down, even with my aggressive tires dropped to 25 psi I'm not willing to make the descent in the wet. It's a narrow path with sheer cliffs on each side and if I hit clay I will lose traction I will slip off the track and die.