Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[36 / 8 / 14]

Best Sleep System for Extended Stay Innawoods

No.2329712 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'm going to be spending about a month at a campsite in the Southwest US this summer. This is NOT a hypothetical, the tickets are booked and the arrangements are made. Thing is, I haven't gone camping since I was a kid and I only ever did for a few days at a time. I'm planning to practice some over the next couple months, but I need some tips.

What would you say is the most comfortable sleeping system I could rig up? I'm going to be out there for a while doing physical labor, so I'd like to try and get some good sleep if I can. I won't have any trees to rig my hammock to, so I need to go with something else. It'll be hot, windy, and probably a little rainy at times. I won't have to hike much with my kit, but it does have to fit in my old 80L backpack and go through checked luggage on my plane. I'm not looking to spend a fuck ton but I've got probably $400 of money put aside for it. I'd like to not blow all of it on this, though.

I was thinking maybe a short cot combined with a lightweight sleeping bag, but I'm not too familiar with cots. Would I be better to go with a sleeping pad and, if so, which type?

Thanks, I'll also take any advice about camping in the Southwest in general. I'm from Florida, so I know a thing or two about hot shitty weather, but dry climates are new to me.