Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[73 / 38 / ?]

No.455756 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hello /out/

I'm new to this board, but I was hoping some of you could provide your knowledge for something I'm planning on doing in a month to a month and a half.

I'm planning on going on a personal pilgrimage to help sort out some personal issues. I am from Edmonton Alberta, and I'm planning on travelling westward to as far as Vancouver. I might end the Journey in Jasper if it proves to be too difficult as I don't have a tremendous amount of outdoor experience.

I'll be taking a month to prepare, and I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them.

1.) If I were to walk at an average pace for around 8 hours a day, how long would it take me to reach Jasper from Edmonton (361 KM Walk) and how long would it take me to reach Vancouver from Edmonton (1218 KM)?

2.) If you were to do this pilgrimage, what supplies would you believe to be essential?

3.) Any tips on avoiding/confronting animals such as pissed off Elk/Moose or bears? I intend on bringing a quarterstaff (Or more like a staff that is 5/6 ft) and possibly messing with it so that it can be turned into a spear, but I feel that it would be wise to just try and avoid them entirely. I will purchase bear spray if necessary.

4.) What books or reading material would you recommend for learning about edible Canadian plants/berries/etc? Also any good learning resources on taking meats from animals?

5.) Should I bring a sling or a slingshot to hunt small game?

6.) Do you have a recommended pair of boots for something like this? Also any essential clothing? I am trying to stick with traditional materials such as leather, wool, and cotton.

I know this is a lot to ask, but any information/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.