Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[76 / 16 / ?]

Hammocks vs. Tents...

No.639527 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'm traditionally a tent camper. I was raised in a household where we had one or two tents and used them during the summer when visiting various festivals. Until today ( my first post in /out/ was about 24 hours ago ) I had no idea that hammock camping was a thing and it made me curious about the best brands, advantages/disadvantages, etc. Off the top of my head it seems like hammock-camping would not only keep you further away from, what can often times be, sickeningly-cold ground but, has the ability to open more usable space to you in a wooded area ( not needing flat ground ) at the cost of being family-friendly.

What do you, being the sc/out/doorsmen that you are, prefer for camping: Hammocks or tents? What conditions/situations would make you decide to go with the opposite of your preference? If you prefer the hammock what brand(s) do you find to be best and why? Do they have cold-weather/4 season hammocks? They seem neato ( I'm open-minded, I promise! ) but I'm not convinced that they are better than tents at this point in spite of being off the ground. I'd love to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of each from people who do both.

Pic related: a Snugpak Scorpion 2 tent not entirely unlike the tent I used as a boy.