Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[30 / 4 / ?]

No.645503 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sup /out/

So I've made up my mind I'm leaving my home and I'm going to go out on the Appalachian trail
and I'm going to start heading North. A really good friend of mine is coming with me and he's been planning on doing something like this for a long time. He already has a lot of gear to choose from to take with him and doesn't really have to buy anything else.
As for myself I'm not prepared at all for this I just made this decision and I'm sticking with it. We're not leaving until March so I have about 3 months to get everything ready. We want to try and hike from north east TN up to Maryland or maybe even New York. Time is no issue, if we don't make it there by late fall then were just going to find a local town to help shelter us for the winter.

My main problem is that I'm very overweight. I'm 5"10 and around 275lbs. DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T DO THIS BECAUSE I'M WILL. I'm going to take it really slow and try to aim for around 5 miles a day maybe more maybe less. I don't want to finish the trail and time is no issue, I really don't care how far I get I'm just going to go. What I need to know is what kind of gear should I try to bring with me. I'm really worried about footwear. I've read a lot and most people say to go with trail runners but at my weight do you think I need more ankle support or would just training as much as I can in the next 3 months enough to strengthen my ankles. Will I need a tent or should I just sleep under a tarp? and What kind of clothes should I start buying because I know rain is going to be a big issue. Any advice and tips would be great.