Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[102 / 17 / ?]

For People of Color, Hiking Isn't Always an Escape

No.866522 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
If /out/ is anything like me, we go /out/ for the pure, simple pleasure of being in the outdoors. Of being part of it; of being one with nature.

And then there's things like what I found in my local paper:

http://archive.is/JoUAj

An article dedicated to shaming those of us who enjoy the outdoors and whatever communities have sprung up around them. All because our /out/door hobbies aren't inclusive enough. I'd thought /pol/ was exaggerating, but these kind of attitudes are insufferable.

Have some snippets:

>...Yokoyama decided to start her own Facebook group, “Hikers of Color,” with the hope someone who could answer her questions would join.

>Almost immediately the posts generated dozens of comments, many supportive but others accused her of everything from promoting separate trails for white people and non-white people, seeking to form exclusive cliques and even warning her to stay off the trail because she wasn’t worthy of search and rescue help should she get in trouble.

>And while it’s easy to find friendly people of all races on the trail, the hiking and outdoors community as a whole still struggles to integrate non-white people into the lifestyle and culture.

>“The hiking community is not just about the idealized Thoreau idea of what it is to be in the wilderness,” Yokoyama said. “The negative things of real life still happen and I think we need to acknowledge that. And the negative thing for people of color is that racism still follows them.”

For God's sake, if you enjoy the outdoors go enjoy them! Don't politicize every tiny thing because you're so feeble-minded you think you need a safe space on the trail! For every asshole you meet on the trail you'll meet ten good people.

So what do you think, /out/?