Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[52 / 15 / ?]

Outdoor Radio, HAM, FM and Weather

No.881679 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I asked a question about a month ago about finding a good radio for listening in while /out/ to stay connected with the world for news updates and weather reports. I was looking for something that could receive basic radio station signals and weather channels.

After a few helpful people chimed in I quickly realized there are a shit ton of options available for portable radios and the ones I was looking at were very limited. Also learned that BaoFeng may be cheap and offer lots of features, but they are pretty crappy and probably should be avoided.

I did some lazy "research" after realizing this and decided to pick up a mobile HAM unit, the YAESU VX-6R. I spent a little more than I had planned on, but now I will be able to receive many different signals (fm, police, fire, ems, weather, amateur HAM signals ect) I will also be able to send signals to communicate... I will be getting a HAM license now. You are not permitted to send signals unless you are licensed and you can only send within certain frequencies.

If you send signals and are not licensed, "they" will find you. Fox hunting is a favorite pastime of HAM operators and they are good at locating signals.

The YAESU VX-6R I bought is a used item that has been modded to transmit over 4 bands, a TX mod or some shit. It was cheaper than new in box, and already had the mod done so I went for it. I'll just need a manual for it, easy enough.

I went for this radio because it is durable, waterproof and has a ton of features.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the world of portable radio /out/doorsmen!

TL;DR Just bought a portable HAM, will be getting license, thank you for the info.