Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[38 / 6 / ?]

Innawoods / SHTF Graphic Novel advice/inspiration

No.899971 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hello hikers, I'm an artist who's fascinated by post-apocalyptic survivalism and bushcraft. I'm working on a graphic novel that deals with these themes. I want to keep this short, but it's going to be set around 80 years after society has officially collapsed. No zombies, no nukes, just a blend of complex factors that made widescale society and large populations unsustainable.

Being set that far after the end, the only survivors are experienced with bushcraft and basically live in small communities or Innawoods. I'm going to focus the story on a person who has done so alone for years, and explore the dynamics of the new world as he is gradually thrust into larger events. I have yet to find a story of this kind in this format, and it would be fun to explore. I don't want to spoil too much. The graphic novel will follow a serial format and be free to read.

Right now I'm focusing on the script to get some structure. I really want the world to be immersive and realistic. It's going to be set in real life geographical locations and be filled with realistic methods. This is where you guys come in. If the story doesn't seem credible, I'd consider it a failure.

I've done a lot of hiking in younger days but my knowledge is limited to the basics. I'm trying to do as much research as I can, and if there's anything you can offer, I'd appreciate it.

So far I've understood that most roads and buildings would be overgrown 80 years after the apocalypse. Unmaintained vehicles would be unusable, as well as food and most other luxuries. What about clothing? I'm guessing 80 year old unused boots would be fine?

Also, the main character has been living in the same place for a few years, a deep forest in the west coast of France. What do you think his shelter should look like? A proper cabin, or is a simpler tent with extra weather protection enough?