Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[9 / 2 / ?]

Dealing with animals & winter survival

No.946114 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Lately I've been thinking about living in the wilderness, or at least trying it out for a month or two and seeing what it's like. I just have some major concerns about this proposal, the biggest being the threat posed by wild animals (bears mostly). I don't have the patience to get a gun permit (not murrican), and even if I had a rifle vs a bear, I don't think I'd stand much of a chance. Unless it was a .50 cal or something. So how can this threat be handled best? I imagine it can't be eliminated completely.

I live in the north (~60° N), and in particular I've been wondering about how to survive the winter. It must be possible somehow, since our ancestors seemed to manage, but I'm having some trouble figuring out the math. I tried searching for guides/something but couldn't find much. Even things that specifically mentioned winter survival didn't give much info on making a fire or getting a reliable source of food.

How would one manage to gather enough food? Ice fishing? Making bread out of crushed bark/roots or something? Hunting/trapping the few animals that are around? And what about fire with all the wetness and shit?

I guess I'm asking for any general tips on living/surviving in the wilderness, especially in the winter. Also it would be nice to hear how you guys deal with the threat of wild (predatory) animals.