Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[34 / 6 / ?]

No.993235 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
hey /out/ I don't post here often, but I need a little advice. We found a pair of cottontail bunnies, and before anyone screams "Don't move them from the nest!", here's what happened:

>Dad's clearing out the yard for easter party
>Digging out an old stump with a garden hoe
>We spot a bunny crawling out and we picked it up from it's (now destroyed) nest
>Start rummaging through the wheelbarrow that he was throwing the stump pieces in
>Sure enough, theres one in there, miraculously unharmed
>Start digging down into the nest to see If there are any more trapped in there
>Get viciously attacked by fire ants that are now everywhere
>Brought the two bunnies inside and started seeing what to do

Now, I'm sure the mother is still out there somewhere, but the nest is completely destroyed and infested with fire ants now, so there's no way I'm putting them back. My sister wants to keep them as pets, and I kind of want to as well. I know that every piece of information screams "NO, YOU CAN'T KEEP WILD RABBITS, YOU HAVE TO RELEASE THEM!", but fuck that, this is the internet, and I don't give a shit.

So far, I bought a couple cans of goat's milk, and some heavy whipping cream, and they've been drinking it like crazy through the syringe, so they're pretty healthy and they seem fine (they're a little freaked out, but they're getting better). I got a cage, some hay, one of those cage watter bottles that you hang, some rabbit food and a couple mini bowls.

They're almost exactly the size of (pic related), and are both about 4" long, give or take. So I'm not sure exactly how old they are, or when and how to start weening them off the milk. And when I do ween them off the milk, is the generic rabbit food I got ok for them, or should I just feed them wild grass? Do I give them water too, or do they get plenty of hydration from the milk as babies, and from the grass when they get older?

>TL;DR: I found a pair of baby cottontails and I'm keeping them as pets. How can I make it happen?