Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[56 / 11 / ?]

Advices about photographing cosplayers in marches/walks and indoors

No.3238856 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Dear /p/.

Few months ago I asked you about general advices about cosplay photography for beginner. Following your suggestions, I bought my first DSLR (Nikon D5300 with 18-105mm kit, replacing Panasonic Lumix compact) while still reading books about photography and I have few questions about two cases I still dont grasp - doing photos of marches and indoors, especially with poor light.

When looking around the internet, advices about photographing marches are mostly about photograping protests and rarely contain info about technical stuff (mostly about "catching the emotions", one even had lot of talk about hiding camera, bringing food with you and avoiding police). Cosplay walks are surely peaceful and happy. But I dont really understand what kind of settings should I use. At one hand, I would rather want some higher depth of field and thus smaller aperture but at the same time, since both cosplayers and me will be constantly walking and I wont have more than few seconds to catch a moment, I would need fast shutter speed. So, just P and let the camera do the work, while I only aim and shoot, with locked 50mm or something? Next walk is in April so I still have some time for practice but Im afraid that if I would, say, stay in city centre and just keep doing photos people walking by, I would earn punch to the face.

As for indoor shoots, cons I went recently had poor inside light - one that took part in summer had bright light coming from windows so it was less of a problem but another one took part in december, plus weather was cloudy (mentioned compact camera I had that time right away suggested ISO 1600, even with 800 it had giantic grains). I have my D5300 since last week now and only tested it at home and with one poor lightbulb and ISO 400 I could still get very sharp photo on gunpla model working as test subject but I want to learn how to do indoor photos with live models the best I can.

Thank you for any advice or help, like always!