Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[25 / 6 / ?]

open source camera

No.3456677 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
>>3449464
I've been thinking of what an "open source" camera might be like, specifically a film SLR. I'd like to get into medium format but most bodies are expensive and old (not really serviceable anymore, mechanics could have corrosion under the hood), a lot of systems have leaf shutters which leads to narrower max apertures and adapting lenses doesn't seem to be too viable due to different shutters and lack of adapters.
Inspired by this thread >>3449464 I came up with an idea of what my ideal body would look like. Pic related.
The idea is that most parts except for the shutter, the mirror and the spring mechanism would be very simple and could be 3d printed by anyone at home. This is a very crude idea of what it might look like and I'm not an engineer or a mechanic. The rails part does seem a bit hard to pull off but I'm still thinking about other methods for bringing the film plane/viewfinder closer to the mirror. I estimate that if the rails do work the flange distance could be brought down to about 74mm, making Hasselblad, Pentax67, Bronica SQ and Mamiya RB/RZ lenses adaptable. The two rectangles named "mount A" and "mount B" would actually be plastic adaptors that mount inside the case, you could 3d print these adaptors and use your preferred lenses. The shutter and the mirror/spring mechanism and probably some of the rails mechanics would have to be manufactured in a factory, but I'm sure they could be at least made to be easily serviceable by using as many widely available parts (like screws nuts bolts and springs you could get at hardware stores) as possible.
Is this a good idea to expand upon and refine? Once I have a bit more money I could ask a friend of a friend who's a mechanical engineer to help me out. Please take a minute to help me decide if I should pursue this
https://www.strawpoll.me/17691079

ATTENTION ALL JANNIES, THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING
If you were concerned about that at all you'd take a look at the 20+ sony spam threads currently up