Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[76 / 11 / ?]

Going back from film to digital?

No.3504552 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
After I stopped assisting and shooting fashion in NYC, I sold my D800 and went completely to film. The colors and "feel" with film is hard to get with digital. I've tried a bunch of different film systems and formats, currently settled with an F100, C330, and RZ67. The biggest pain in the ass is the cost and effort associated with developing and scanning. I currently do both myself, and it's time consuming, especially if you have more than a roll or two to dev + scan. Paying for developing and scanning can easily cost $20/roll, and I'm not fond of my local lab.

I usually keep my F100 in my bag with me at all times, but I began to rethink shooting film on 35mm due to the effort vs reward. Home scans of 35mm are okay at best, so I pulled the trigger on a Fuji X-T20 with the aim of replacing my day-to-day shooting with digital. I keep remembering how boring it was to sit in Lightroom and tweak channels and apply filters to get my digital files looking good, so I'm apprehensive about the change.

I'm wondering what /p/'s experience is regarding going from film to digital and if the tradeoffs are worth it.