Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[5 / 3 / ?]

Best Negative Scans

No.3540110 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I just got myself a Plustek 8200i and I’m looking to scan my negatives in a way that can largely future proof them for use in printing in photo books and any other media I might use them in. The scanner came bundled with Silverfast Se Plus, which has baffled me in many regards with its interface (not sure if anyone can recommend something better in terms of software). Ideally I’d like to as little post editing as possible minus some spot dust/smudge removal if necessary in PS. My question is what format should I be scanning my black and white negatives in?
The options are: 16>8 Bit, 16>1 Bit, 16 Bit HDR, 32 Bit HDR (RAW scanning can be applied to most as well). Also not sure if 7200 dpi is nominal or worth doing for future proofing as well.

Obviously by this post I know very little about what HDR or RAW will do to these scans but the goal is to get the best scans possible at this point, but I’ve heard you need certain software for the RAW versions etc. So if I can just get a great scan that will hold up against time and be compatible with photoshop that’d be ideal.

Any help appreciated!