Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[73 / 38 / ?]

Pinhole Photography

No.3566483 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hi /p/, I’ve been getting into pinhole photography lately. It’s super fun and forces you to be creative. Mercilessly critique my work and feel free to post your own pinhole shots, film or digital. The large format shots are developed in HC110, the 120 shots were lab-developed. I use either my phone or a crappy point and shoot to digitize the large format film because I don’t have a scanner. I’ll post details next to each shot.

There are a bunch of good manufacturers for anons interested in trying out pinhole photography. In no particular order - Reality So Subtle, Zero Image, Ranica, Ondu, Vermeer, Harman/Ilford, Holga, Lensless Camera Co, plus plenty of hobbyists doing builds and conversions on Ebay and Etsy. You can also get a pinhole body cap for your digital body of choice, although I’m never too impressed with the images I’ve seen from those. They can create a very soft, dreamy look if that’s what you’re going for.

I’ve only had reliably good results with forgiving films like HP5 and Tri-X. Contrast can get out of control quickly due to reciprocity failure (google for a better explanation than I can give). Also, most pinhole cameras have heavy vignetting, so the edges of your frame may be completely black if you choose a film with low dynamic range like slide film, or use a paper negative/positive. Of course, this depends on the camera. If you don’t like that look, the Zero Image and Harman cameras don’t have much vignetting. My first several rolls and sheets had more misses than hits, but with practice you can get consistent results.

This first shot was taken on the Reality So Subtle 4x5 with Ilford HP5. Exposure was 7 seconds IIRC.