Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[21 / 3 / ?]

Help me choose the right camera plz

No.3907105 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Dear /p/

I’m looking to get a camera by the end of the summer. I’m willing to spend up to ~$6K, but would prefer to spend less of course. I need this camera (& lens) to accomplish one simple function for work, but it would be cool if I could use it for my amateur film-making hobby as well.

The mission-critical task:
I’m a free-lance archivist, and I need to be able to scan large-format maps, whiteprints, & blueprints. I have been doing this up to now with my phone, and a) it’s a pain in the ass to stitch everything together, and b) I just use it to give my clients a preview, and then they can decide to get it professionally scanned if they want. I have seen other archivists rig up a system to hold a DSLR over a map to scan it, and they all say it’s the way to go. Assuming these prints are on a table ~30”-36” off the ground, and an average ceiling height of 9’, I have to be able to capture an image ~4’x5’ from a max of ~5’ away. I would to minimize the height of this 80/20 contraption I have to make, but I also want to make an image with the least distortion. I don’t need the accuracy of a flatbed scanner…If any of you are knowledgeable enough about optics that you can give me a technical answer, I can try to quantify that further. I’d prefer less than a eighth-inch of distortion at the edges of one of these 4x5 maps. 1/16” or less would be ideal.

I’m fairly sure I need a wide angle lens <20mm for this based on the angle-of-view I see in the specs on BHP, but please correct me if that seems wrong.

There also is generally a lot of fine detail on these maps & prints, so I figure I want the highest resolution possible. I’m only looking at cameras >40MP, but again, if that seems wrong to you, please correct me.