Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[72 / 12 / ?]

Latinist#3227

No.12006986 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hello there /vp/, I'm about to tell you why I think Sylveon is either bug or poison, forget flying or dragon type. Remember, you heard it here first.

It is now widely known that Slyv- could be derived from the Latin noun for forest. This is indeed true. Silva, is commonly used for 'forest, meadow, foliage or any other location filled with greenery, some even go that extra bit further and say it could be translated as 'jungle'.

So, my theory is based purely on the name, not anything else. So forget the pathetic: muh butterflies, muh weight, muh cloudy eyes.

All of the eevolutions' type are based on their name. Sure, you could cry: 'muh patterns', but Slyveon already has the '-eon' suffix so I am sure that the 'slyv-' prefix conveys its type in one way or another.

Let's look at the other eevolutions and their names:

>Jolteon: Jolt
>Flareon: Flare
>Vaporeon: Vapour
>Glaceon: Glacier
>Leafeon: Leaf
>Espeon: ESP power
>Umbreon: Umbra: Shadow/Darkness
>Slyveon: Silva: bug or poison

Now, I'm going to explain exactly why I think this prefix is from the Latin and not something else.

In Pokemon, it is normal to see interchangeable consonants or vowels:

Rhyhorn ---> Rhino

The Y in used to give it that little stylistic touch.

>3edgy5me

The same can be said for Slyveon, the Y and the I are interchangeable, so for that reason, we can start referring Slyveon as Silveon.

The division is clear, 'Silv' is the prefix and '-eon' is the suffix.

Now, moving onto the next conflicting letter, the 'V'. Many have argued that Sylveon is a flying type, and that its name derives from the mythological 'Sylph'. I'll now explain why this can't be.

The localisation team made sure that the pokemon was named Slyveon not Slypheon. So, why should we be looking and arguing about 'Slyphs' when we have a clearly spelled 'Sylveon, with a V.

Now, some now many say:
>'But PH is used a variation of V, they sound identical, therefore PH = V

(TO BE CONTINUED)