Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[18 / 1 / ?]

Can the Fans Help?

No.14276798 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So amidst the hullabaloo about X/Y's low count of brand-new pokemon, I'd like to ask a pertinent question.

There may have been a number of factors to cause the first 3D pokemon handheld games to have the lowest pokedex count to date, and one might possibly be that Gamefreak is "running out of ideas".

Now, given the versatility of the subject matter, that's not very likely. I personally believe we could have 2000 different pokemon and still have room for fresh new ideas. But Gamefreak might not have the time to come up with them between each title, unless they turn to a very willing audience. Which brings me to my question:

Do you think it would be wise for Gamefreak to begin casting out into their fanbase for official pokemon designs? I'm not saying they hold transparent contests or voting polls, but rather that they leave open the possibility for fans to submit designs they think would make for a good pokemon directly to them, and Gamefreak picks the ones that have potential and fine tunes them to suit their needs.

The only concern I would have with such a method is the potential for drama. A lot of fans out there who already do such work have fans of their own, and seeing one pokemon chosen over the other and identified to be a particular person's work could step on some toes.

At the very least, when an unpopular design makes it in, people would have someone besides Gamefreak to lay some of the blame on.