Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[98 / 10 / ?]

No.14283036 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'm trying to stay away from here due to spoilers, but I couldn't stop myself from watching The Origin because I figured it's retelling R/B/Y, it couldn't be anything like that.

I may or may not be latefagging on this, couldn't find any threads on catalog, but can we get a discussion about this?

The first episode was absolutely fucking beautiful. It showed Red developing as a character, it brought back the nostalgia of going out and catching every little shit you could find, not knowing what type advantages and weaknesses are, they even fixed the part from the games where you beat Gary/Green/Blue every single time you encountered him, having him lose once and having Red not fight him again until the Elite 4. It even did the thing where it sort of explains how the gym leaders get progressively stronger because they have different sets of Pokemon to use depending on how strong the opponent is.

What I didn't like was everything after the first episode. I mean, yeah, the fight scenes were pretty great (They could've had a lot more variety with the movesets, not had Rhyhorn knock out jolteon with a fucking electric move, etc), but it felt very rushed. Sylph Co would've been an amazing thing to animate with all the shit that happened there. Red could've gotten his Hitmonlee, the thing that basically singlehandedly beat Rhyhorn, encountered the Snorlax roadblock, started the Giovanni characterization so he actually has reason to show him being hated, gotten the Sylph Scope to get the Gengar he used against Mewtwo, even shown off a gym battle against Sabrina. Pokemon Tower did not need to take nearly that long. Don't even get me started on the mewtwo ending thing.

But otherwise, I thought it was pretty great. Like, a solid 9/10 on so many fronts, ultimately suffering from not being a full series while Ash gets his 16th season or so.