Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[90 / 10 / ?]

No.14594153 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I think Mega Evolutions suck. No, I'm not against further evolution of pokemon and I'm not a genwunner or anything. I genuinely think that Gamefreak were lazy about the whole thing.

Take the concept of evolution - it's a biological change of a pokemon that transforms it into a stronger, better pokemon. A little Spearow tranforms into a fearsome Fearow - a bigger size, bigger wings, sharper beak. A Growlithe bulks up into a stronger beast. A tiny Togepi grows bigger and gains wings. Everything furthers the pokemon into becoming a stronger, better monster than it was previously.

When we got new evolutions before, they changed the pokemon. Electabuzz became a tougher, taller, electric-sipping beast. Magmar developed flamethrower arms. Piloswine developed into a limber, tusk-wielding beast. It improved the pokemon.

But what about the Mega Pokemon? Can we say the same? Alas, no. Many of the new incarnations are merely covered in more spikes and painted red.

Tell me, what is the rationale for the prism-legs of Scizor? The cannon-arms of Blastoise that look out of place? The barely-different Venusaur with a taller tree plant? The Alakazam with a beard? How are these Mega pokemon a significant change from their predecessor? The short answer is "they aren't". They merely slapped a few spikes and a bit of fur on the pokemon without any real thought behind it.

I mean, let's think about Blastoise, for example. It's a turtle tank with two water cannons. How could you improve upon that and make an interesting evolution? Well, many water cannons are used in riots, and are armoured trucks. So you have made Blastoise go on all fours, elongate the legs a little, and armour-plate him with steel. Make the two cannons a little bigger. Make Blastoise Water/Steel. You see? There's a furthering of the water-cannon concept into a viable pokemon.

What did Gamefreak do? They ignored any sort of logic. Turned two cannons into one and stuck nonsensical mini-cannons on its arms.