Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[196 / 18 / ?]

No.15819429 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
>BOOH BOOH SMOGON TIERS SHOULDNT EXIST I WANT TO BATTLE WITH MY BROS

Seriously guys I've been reading these complaints a lot lately. I think most of you have a misconception about what's the goal of tiers. I don't entirely agree with playing under Smogon rules, I'd rather play using VGC. But either way, people just don't seem to understand what tiers are. If you're one of these people, come here, I'll explain you.

Let's say every single Pokemon in existence is allowed. Let's assume species clause. Wouldn't teams like Mewtwo, Xerneas, Arceus, Kyogre, Lugia and Deoxys run rampant? Wouldn't people just make strategies using the most powerful Pokemon only? Did you remember how using Mewtwo and Mew in gen I with your friends was basically cheating and being a cheap bastard? That's what the "ubers" tier does: it bans Pokemon that overcentralizes the whole metagame, making it lack variety.

So let's get down this:
>The uber tier encompasses every single Pokemon.
>It serves as a banlist for lower tiers.

Now, of the remaining Pokemon, some of them present chances to be used in awesome ways. For this reason, some of these end up being used way more than the rest. Suddenly, a list of 30+ Pokemon are the ones people use the most. These are the "overused" Pokemon, or OU.

>The OU tier encompasses every Pokemon not in ubers.
>It serves as the "main" metagame as it has the most options and is the broadest.

To be continued.