Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[105 / 13 / ?]

Pokegen/Pokegen Public Service Announcement

No.15956539 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Also pokegen question/discussion thread

Despite the number of autists on /vp/, a horrifyingly low number of people know how pokegen works and what poketransfer will mean for their competitive experiences. I'm here to help clear up the details regarding this complicated issue.

First, let's talk about whether or not gened mons will be able to pass through poketransfer filters. The answer is yes, and here's why.

In generation 3, 4, and 5, a pokemon's data is held in a .pkm file. In gen 5, a .pkm file is only about 136 bytes. This is EXTREMELY small and it only contains necessary information. The info stored on a .pkm file ONLY includes:
Species
Nickname
Original player's name
Original players ID #
Original player's secret ID #
IVs
EVs
Number of experience points
Whether or not it's an egg (includes how many steps until it hatches
Game of origin
Route of origin
Level at which it was encountered
What type of ball it is in
Held item
Ability
Move set
The pokemon's randomly generated 10 digit personality value (determines gender and shininess)

All of this information is editable in programs like pokegen. When someone uses pokegen, what they are doing is editing a save file so that a cartain .pkm file appeares in a pc slot. Since the .pkm file already contains where it was encountered, it's as if it was already there. According to the game file, that pokemon was caught and put into the pc.

It's like if you altered someone's memory flawlessly. Their reality changes.

The reason why I'm explaining this in such detail is because I've seen threads devolve into shouting maches on whether or not they are considered "real pokemon." From the game file's standpoint, they are, and they were always there.

The only way that the game could possibly tell that these pokemon are illegitimate are if they have moves that they cannot learn, abilities they cannot learn, or crazy EV spreads.

TLDR: legal gened pokemon will be transferred normally because they are IDENTICAL