Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[37 / 6 / ?]

making quad weaknesses less extreme

No.19491679 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
what does vp think of my idea to reduce quad weaknesses?

1.why even?
because a pokemon getting the 'wrong' type combination (shared weaknesses) is automatically fucked, which is especially sad if said pokemon was meant to be defensive.
prime example? any rock+steel pokemon
the idea was to combine the 2 conceptually toughest types. however due to them sharing key weaknesses to fighting and ground, any such pokemon is doomed as moves of those types rip them apart

the obvious "fix" would be to have dual weaknesses use a mod of 3x instead of 4x...but I have a more elegant solution.
and it involves the difference between Sableye and Spiritombs type combination.
"there is none", I hear everyone and their mother say.
and you're right, it makes no difference right now, but gamefreak made their combos reverse.
Sableye = Dark / Ghost
Spiritomb = Ghost / Dark
the reasons here are simply conceptual. spiritomb is closer to being an actual ghost, while sableye is, i guess, sneaky first. another of my favourite examples is:
Geodude = Rock / Ground
Rhyhorn = Ground / Rock
notice how geodude is an actual living rock, while rhyhorn is a mammal merely covered with a rocky armor

so, what if the second type only affected type advantages half as much?
Ground move vs Aggron (Steel/Rock) =
2x against its main Steel type
1.5x against its secondary Rock type
= 3x (instead of 4x)

this also makes combos that "cancel out" its weaknesses more interesting:
Ice move vs Swampert (Water/Ground) =
0.5x against main Water type
1.5x against secondary Ground
= 0.75x (instead of 1x)

Fire move vs Volcarona (Bug/Fire) =
2x against main Bug type
0.66x against Fire type
= 1.33x (instead of 1x)

and if type order suddenly matters on the defense, it would only make sense to apply that logic to offense too.
meaning a Gallade should pull stronger psy moves than Medicham, while Medicham should do more with Fighting moves than Gallade.
main STAB = 1.5x
secondary STAB = 1.25x