Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[64 / 7 / ?]

No.22969976 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
ITT: we discuss GameFreak's attempts at balance.

Okay, so I'm not really sure what to think here. At some point I've convinced myself that most of the anti-ban side in the Metagross debate are either inexperienced, or trolls arguing against just to be contrary and stir up shit.

When people argue against the ban, they all seem to follow the same line of thinking; "Metagrossite doesn't need to be banned! Nothing needs to be banned! The metagame is fine as it is, there are too many bans, and we just need to let everything evolve!"

IMO this argument is hugely flawed, one of the reasons being that the metagame is far too unbalanced for any progressive evolution to happen.

One of the main culprits of this problem is GameFreak themselves. They create Pokemon, then expect them to be able to thrive in a competitive environment that's stuck between 6v6, 3v3, singles, doubles, and a bunch of arbitrary limitations that completely ignores their individual power levels (e.g. Mega Salamence is completely fine, but Giratina isn't). Pokemon is undeniably unbalanced, and GameFreak's attempts to rein this in, rather than actively try to balance it by making changes, is just a poor patch-up that will only get worse with time.

6v6 is a clusterfuck right now (without Smogon rules), so they use VGC rules. This is a poor attempt to balance what we have to work with by forcing arbitrary constraints that kinda fix the problem but not really.

This circles around to offense's supremacy over defense. GameFreak has to appeal to children, so they can't have games that go on for more than a few minutes, or kids will get bored. How many of you hate stall? How many of you lack the attention span needed to see through a long game? Exactly. Games have to be quick, fast-paced, and offensive. The people who make and balance this game will never give us the defensive mons we need for 6v6 because it's not conducive to Nintendo's main directive: maximizing profit.