Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[30 / 7 / ?]

Gen 1

No.24665653 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So, hopefully this thread won't cause gen debates, but one of my friends wants to know more about why so many people have issues with Gen 1. So I thought I'd do my best to compile a list for him. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyway, here's my list.
1) The game has a minimal, and pretty shit story. I wonder how many people even realised that you get more dialogue if you talk to someone after you beat them? You actually get a lot of hints and some story from that...
2) Almost every female NPC accuses you of groping them.
3) The game clearly wants you to make a varied team of Pokemon to abuse type advantages (read some dialogue, or I think even the trainer tips), but that actually doesn't work, most Pokemon don't learn moves that match their type until they're at a high level (and you have no in-game way of knowing which Pokemon do learn the moves and which don't, a lot of non-Normal type Pokemon only learn Normal moves, heck, coming up with a way to get around Normal type Pokemon/moves already has you half way to beating the game), and even if that wasn't the case, most caught Pokemon are underleveled. The only time I've ever really noticed type advantage paying off is the Rival fights, but he's enough of a dick to spam Sand Attack and his Pokemon are usually at a good level, so much so that if you really have focused on type advantage, he might just beat you with level advantage because again, most caught Pokemon are underleveld.

cont