Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[14 / 2 / ?]

No.27088869 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I've gained a new appreciation for Emboar.

I used to think it was decidedly the worst starter ever, but after using it in Volt White (Clean) I've determined it's the best starter in gen 5.

While it lacks in key areas like speed and defense, its focus on strong offense allows it to make a greater impact in crucial situations. Flame Charge makes up for its speed, and strong fighting STAB allows it to take out key targets like Hydreigon. One might argue the others have more balanced stat spreads and designs, making them more generally usable, but this also makes them mediocre by not having a strong niche. Emboar works better in a well-balanced team, or can just easily steamroll the game on its own with Flame Chage spam.

Of course you can sort of replace it with Darmanitan or Sawk, but you can do the same with Basculin or Lilligant. You're sacrificing something regardless. As far as starters go, and considering your main opponents in story mode, Emboar provides the most power and utility, and is the most effective starter when it counts.