Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[27 / 3 / ?]

Is Pokemon Changing Too Much?

No.28081712 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Pokemon is undergoing a lot of changes recently. Sun and Moon seems like it may be a soft-reboot of the franchise. I'm afraid that I won't like the games because so much of the formula has changed. Maybe GameFreak is going for a new vision of Pokemon?

>Opinions
•Redesigning old Pokemon
I'm actually really excited to try using most of these old favorites again with a new aspect.
But here's where I see warning signs:
•Mega-Evolution already retconned
Many of the leakers have suggested that there will be no new Mega-Evolutions. I think there will probably be a few, but it seems odd to already give up on a concept. (Personally I think they broke the games). And they're replacing it with something even more ridiculous IMO, Synchro-Evolutions. A glorified friendship system or something?
•More horrible battle systems
Not a fan of Battle Royal. And Totem Battles? Probably going to be just a glorified wild Pokemon battle with one Mon in the horde being strongish. Both gimmicks.
•Z-Moves
If you are a fan of competitive play, imagine how badly this could affect the metagame. Maybe even casual play. It's basically Mega-Evolution but a one-shot-per-battle move.
•Based on the footage we've seen in the trailers, this looks like it will have the most hand-held story in Pokemon ever.
Even the Pokedex will be able to annoy you at any point in the game now.
The Island Challenge: You meet the Trial Captains early on when you arrive on the island, but you can't battle them yet! "Help me do this!" "Help me do that!" I'm not even sure if you battle these guys. It says after you face the Totems, you face the Kahuna. Journey up the mountain and back down, every time?

These are just the things they've told us about. We already know things like useless moves, items, and abilities will be coming along as always.

What is everyone else worried about in SM? Are you not worried? Is this a series reboot? Pic somewhat unrelated.