Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[6 / 2 / ?]

No.34197652 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
A friend of mine asked if I wanted to play the new pokemon games (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon). I have some fond memories of our youth where I got Pokémon Ruby and he got Sapphire and we played, progressed, battled, traded, helped each other out on how to get rare Pokémon like Feebas and how to evolve it etc. We met up with a link cable at a small lake in a forest in between us and had a good time. He generally had a larger collection and more shinies, I usually got the best out of him in link battles. So I have some good memories of these games.

Now we're both grown-up, and he asked me about the latest pokemon games. I told him I outgrew the series, but now I'm having second thoughts. The last 2 Pokémon games I played where Pokémon White and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. I hated White because of the handholding, no free exploration and linear paths and especially the overall sissy undertone of dialogue and presentation of the characters. I much more like the mean eyes of every trainer, the meaner looks of every pokémon and a rival who says smell ya later. So I disliked that game. Later, in a fit of nostalgia, I bought Alpha Sapphire, and it was okay because of more exploration basically. I did dislike the cringy post-game rayquaza story though. I concluded that was the new direction of the game and haven't bothered with the series since.

So, /vp/, as the premier Pokémon board, I humbly ask you, should I buy the game, and will I enjoy it? I like battling and exploring nature, I don't like cringy characters, cringy dialogue and cutscenes interrupting my gameplay. Will I enjoy current day Pokémon? My only worry is wasting money because of nostalgia.