Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[29 / 3 / ?]

Level Design in Pokemon Games

No.35229950 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I feel like out of all thing things people give Pokemon credit for, no one ever mentions it's level design; And really I think that it's never used to it's full potential outside of a few hidden jems.

And no, I'm not talking about straying off the path and finding extra items, I'm talking about PIC RELATED.

What makes Route 217 so different from the rest is because of how expansive it is compared to the average, hallway-like route. Because of it's large open area aloung with the deep snow, it becomes one of the few areas that used the item finder to it's full advantage, allowing you to find dropped items against the the harsh weather which is REALLY rewarding since there are a lot are Rare Candies around this route.

And I haven't even brought up the atmosphere; The harsh blizzard weather as your character trudging up a mountain through deep snow, all mixed in with this upbeat cheery theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cLW0Lckhc). It's so PERFECT it almost makes me think Game Freak did this by accident.

I've played the other generations but my memory's' fogged, are their other routes like this?