Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[63 / 6 / ?]

No.35497612 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_(Generation_I)

What follows is the current state of my research on the 190 Pokemon theory, based on the index list for Generation 1. If you don't know what this is - Pokemon of Generation 1 were not put into the original game's code in a distinguishable or logical order, like the Pokedex or alphabetical order, but instead in a seemingly random manner. Rhydon is Pokemon #001 and the last one, Victreebel, is #190. Yes, only 151 spaces of this encoded list are filled with usable Pokemon data, and the remaining 39 spots are corrupt data, which, if the games are manipulated correctly, summons forth the infamous Missingno glitch.

Shigeki Morimoto confirmed that indeed 190 Pokemon were originally planned for Generation 1, but some of the designs were scrapped and "saved for later". That means that the index list once contained data of all these 190 Pokemon and 39 of them got scrapped.

What is also confirmed is that Rhydon, #001 on the index list, was indeed the first Pokemon ever designed - suggesting that the index list is actually a chronological order of Pokemon designs, making Victreebel the last Pokemon design finalized for the game.

These main facts bring me to the questions I'm trying to answer, that is:
-what was the identity of these 39 scrapped Pokemon?
-were there any relationships (or lack thereof) between different Pokemon species that don't seem obvious now?
-how did the development process of the first Pokemon games looked like from the creature design perspective?

I'm going to point out the areas of my research, which are as follows: location of a Pokemon on the index list, Pokemon's membership in the evolutionary line, Pokemon cries. The latter is important, because nine of the Missingno have their cry data intact.