Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[59 / 18 / ?]

No.35760879 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So, someone on Reddit (yes, I know, le Leddit ecks dee, bear with me here) managed to figure out how to get Gold 97 to communicate with other games.

Link to the leddit thread over here https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8nmyw3/pokemon_gold_97_link_cable_club_analysis/ but I'll give you guys a quick summary:

>Change the rom extension to .gb for it to work
>Linked play with other copies of Gold 97 work mostly as expected, other trainers have different trainer IDs from you, yadda yadda. However, held items will disappear after a link battle, so clearly there's a couple major bugs still needing to be ironed out. Also noteable: the trading system is identical to Gen 1.
>Linking with Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow: The game checks to make sure you have a Gen 1 compatible team, then after you use the, quote, "time machine" (not a time capsule?), you end up in a Gen 1 Pokemon Center. You can't battle the Gen 1 game, you can only trade, but trading works completely fine.
>Linking with a final-version Gen 2 game (tested game: Silver) fails outright- Silver recognizes Gold 97 as a Gen 2 game, but while Silver reacts normally to the process, Gold crashes.

I dunno about you, but in my book, this behavior is pretty much what I'd expect.

Redditor unfortunately hasn't yet mentioned what emulator he used to get all this to work, though.